Monthly Archives: July 2008

Export Eclipse Plugin, Assert Errors

Here is my scenario:
I import Eclipse RSE( Remote System Explorer) plug-ins into my workspace and I want to build and test it myself. There are no errors in the workspace and running and debugging is all OK. And I want to export these plug-ins out: Export->Plug-in Development->Deployable plug-ins and fragements -> … An error dialog tells me that “Error occurred during the operation. A zip file containing the build logs has been generated and placed at …”. And exact that *.zip file and there is a @dot.bin.log, saying something like:
4. WARNING in D:\eclipse\workspace\org.eclipse.rse.core \src\org\eclipse\rse\core\ (at line 31)
assert pattern != null;
'assert' should not be used as an identifier, since it is a reserved keyword from source level 1.4 on
5. ERROR in D:\eclipse\workspace\org.eclipse.rse.core \src\org\eclipse\rse\core\ (at line 31)
assert pattern != null;
Syntax error on token "!=", = expected

I know this error. But I already set the Compiler Compliance Level to 1.5 already, and in the workspace there is no errors complaining about this.

Googling all over the net and there is no clear solution to solve this problem. Someone says that modifying ANT script build.xml by adding source=”1.4″ will solve this problem. But the problem is that using Export->… the build.xml will always be regenerated.

After reading the source of plug-in, I found that there is an option for the script generator to specify javacSource in build.xml. You can just add two lines in file like the following:
javacSource = 1.4
javacTarget = 1.4

And exporting plug-ins won’t have errors any more.

It feels great to have sources in hand when solving problems. 😀

Posted in Bug Fix, Eclipse, Tricks | Tagged , | 3 Comments

Enable Line-In to Speaker for Vista

Here is the hack for my Dell Inspiron 1520:

A lot of people have been reporting various versions of this issue. In short you are not able to hear line-in audio from the computers speaker even though the meter shows an audio signal. It seems that simply adding a registry key to enable the input monitor will fix the problem, at least it did on my Dell Dimension 9100. Once you add this key and reboot, you will need to enable the input monitor by going to “Control Panel” –> “Sound” –> “speakers/headphones” click on properties, then click on the “Levels” tab and enable the input monitor button.

That should do it, it did for me.

Here is the contents of the reg file I imported to fix the problem:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

You can either create a reg file with this text, or go there yourself and create the binary value.

Here is my standard Microsoft type warning that you should never edit the registry unless you really know what you are doing!

Thanks snashbar very much for his/her post “Possible fix for LIne-in issue with SigmaTel driver in Vista

P.S. After I solved the Line-in problem, I found that the Line-In is really noisy. I finally found a solution: change the level of Microphone/Line In and Microphone Boost to 0:

P.S.2 For Mac OS X user, there is an application called “LineIn” for you to put through line-in to speaker.

Posted in Vista Hacks | 5 Comments